Saturday, April 21, 2012

Chapter 13: Only one

Chapter 13: Only one (Wattpad)

I think I’m floating. But no, that doesn’t seem right. The last thing I remembered was walking to school, but I was really drowsy and…

“Hey, kid!”

OH, JESUS CHRIST. MOTHER OF GOD. I was startled back to consciousness and almost stumbled backward. That was incredibly stupid! 

“Sorry!” I called out to our neighbor from his window. You saved my life, I wanted to add. He said, “Yeah, no problem!” then, “Drink coffee!” I should definitely do that. 

“Will do!” I started walking again, willing not to make another scene like that one. God, that was embarrassing. I yawned. I really can’t believe I just did that! I don’t think it’s even possible.

I shifted the weight of my backpack and tried to focus my mind. If only I slept properly last night. Why does this have to happen to me, off all people! I clenched my teeth together as I recalled the events after dinner last night.

The lights were off. I was half-sleeping already and looking forward to a peaceful slumber when my phone rang beside my head. 

Oh, God. I’ve had bloody enough of phone calls starting this afternoon! I bet my house that when I pick up, the phone line would be dead and then it would ring again, I pick it up, no answer, ring, pick-up.

It’s endless. It’s insanity.

But I can’t just let my phone ring like that – I’m only a coward sometimes – so I grabbed it. Fully awake now, I pressed accept and didn’t waste a second to put it in my ear.

“Hello?”

“You cold-hearted bitch.”

“Sorry?”

“How dare you take Travis away from me!”

“Uhm…I really don’t know you. Sorry, but – ”

“Just because the Lord took pity on you and made you his seatmate, doesn’t mean that you have to go flirting with him! Bitch!”

“I don’t know you, okay?” God. The female dog word just gets old and I don’t get hurt when they sat that anymore; I probably heard it a gazillion times in less than an hour, “Just stay away from me.”

“I don’t think you even love Travis! You’re just using him, aren’t you? And then you’ll break his heart, you bitch! You’re using him!” 

This girl has no idea, not a single idea, that what she’s saying is the other way around. “Please, it’s the middle of the night. We have classes tomorrow – ”

“You just want to go tomorrow so you can slaver over Travis’ body! You are so disgusting!” I don’t believe this. So I am the disgusting one here?

“Look, whoever you are, just get over it. Travis and I are together, he loves me, I love him, the whole nine yards. So, just please, leave me alone. We could all do with some sleep.” I can’t believe I just said that but this girl is pushing me.

“Don’t you dare speak to me like that! You, slut! You’re going to pay for what you did. You hear me? You’re going to pay!” She’s going to scream forever, Avery. Face it. Lord, forgive me. I never hang up on someone, but…

I shakily pressed the decline key and immediately turned my phone off, getting out the battery to be thorough. 

Silence. Now this kind of silence is divine.

I closed my eyes, but it was a few more hours later before I actually slept. Bloody distractions. 

I now joined the crowd of people slowly making their way to the school entrance. I didn’t even sleep that well; I had nightmares when I tried to – about a bunch of girls killing me in my sleep with armalites and axes while Travis took bloody pictures of the whole scene, using Polaroid.

Highschool is full of perils. 

Then suddenly, one girl came up to me after taking care of her things in her locker. I know her – Mia Thompson. She’s good friends with Will.

“Uhm, Avery?”

“Err, yes?” This conversation is awkward. 

“Is it true about you and Travis Warner?” she asked with huge eyes.

I forced a smile and said, “Yeah, we…yeah. It just happened, you know.” I shrugged, hoping it would make up for my lack of words. It worked. “Oh!” she said, her eyes getting wider, “I see. Well, we’re very happy for you, Avery.” I am so not.

“Thanks, Mia.” I smiled and waved goodbye to her and went to my room. As soon as I sat down settled, I opened my phone and texted Cassie, See you at lunch? While I was waiting for her reply, I got out my things, ready as always for note taking. My phone beeped and I aged at her message.

You sure you don’t want to have lunch with your new boyfriend? (; 

Aaargh. It’s just lunch for God’s sake. Just because you have a relationship doesn’t mean that you have to spend every second with your partner.

Right?

And this isn’t even a real relationship! It’s forced. It’s cruel to innocent people. It’s impossible.

“I’m not going to bloody spend my lunchtime with him.” I muttered under my breath as I started typing Cassie a negative answer when out of nowhere a hand covered my eyes from behind.

“What the – ” Oh, no. Oh, God. There’s only one person who has the guts to do this kind of thing, “Uhm, Travis?” I asked faintly.

I heard his booming laugh and then he removed his hand. I blinked several times rapidly and then looked behind me.

Oh, no.

Oh my God.

“Flowers?”

He held out the bouquet of red roses to me and gave me a million dollar smile. What is he doing? This isn’t part of the deal, it bloody isn’t. “Hey, don’t you like roses? They suit you. And I also brought you something.” He gave me a big rectangular box covered in royal blue. 

“I hope you like it. Mom picked it out for you.” He grinned hugely. 

“Your mother?”

He chuckled, “I just said it; please tell me why that insignificant fact is so hard to believe.” He winked at me and I scowled, “Copycat.” 

He laughed lightly and said, “I have a plan for us today and I think it would be extremely healthy for you.” Plan? My mind is suddenly exploding with information.

“Wait, wait.” I laughed uncomfortably, “What plan? Why did your Mom buy this for me? And last night, what was the Polaroid issue? And did you know I haven’t got a decent – ”

He covered my mouth with a hand, laughing. “Slow down! God, you’re so cute. Now tell me what happened last night.” He went and sat down on his seat, twisting his chair to face me. 

I did my best to ignore the ‘cute’ comment and he said, his brow creasing in amused confusion, “You’re blushing.” 

“You’re delusional. And last night, your fansclub is to blame.” I put the flowers and the package on my desk and looked at him straight in the eye. He looked confused, “Fansclub?”

“They prank-called me last night, cursed me, called me names, accused me of things I’ve never done, condemned my very name to the gates of hell and I couldn’t sleep because – ”

He looked angry, “What the fuck – ”

“We both heard my phone ring and I quickly darted my eyes to the caller ID. 

Unknown number.

I faced my seatmate and raised my eyebrows at him, “I’m going to put it on loudspeaker, okay?” I didn’t wait for his response and pressed ‘accept’, putting it on loudspeaker.

“Hello?”

“Allton, you’re at school now, aren’t you? Fucking with Travis’ body no doubt – ” I barely got a word out of my mouth when Travis pried the phone away from my hands and said, “Sarah, what are you doing?”

“Travis?”

“Leave Avery alone. Go away or I swear I’ll destroy your immaculate image if she complains ever again. And we never even had a relationship. You’re delusional.” He cut the call and slammed the phone on my desk. 

I was speechless.

That was…new. 

“Are you, err, okay?” I said hesitantly, my heart was pounding and I was concerned he might explode. He just pursed his lips and said, “If they bug you, I’m right here.” He smiled slightly at me, but the smile was beautiful, nonetheless. “They’re so delusional. How can I have a relationship with sixty-seven girls all at the same time?” 

Yeah, I thought wonderingly, last time I counted I was only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment